Thursday 25 October 2012

A Whole New Me

Yeah, I know...two posts in one month. It happens. Last time I posted so often was the whole cancer stuff. This time, it's something completely different.

Last winter, I saw a plastic surgeon in London for breast reconstruction surgery. We talked, and decided that I would be a good candidate for the TRAM surgery. This uses tissue from my lower abdomen to replace the lost tissue where my breast was. This also gives me a tummy tuck at the same time!  He suggested at the time, that the procedure would look better in my tummy area if I could lose some weight.

I've spent the last several months trying on my own, but without a lot of luck.

Back in September, I started working at Tim Horton's. It's right behind my house, about 15 minute walk. I'm working 18-24 hours a month, so I have some money coming in (watch out Fabricland), and still have time to pursue my hobbies and be with my family.  Because I now have an income, and we have some extra money, Katie and I made the decision to join Weight Watchers.  We went to our first meeting on October 11th (2012).  I weighted in at (gulp) 236.8 pounds. As of today, I'm down to 231.4. That's 5.4 pounds in two weeks. I've also lost about 1.5 to 2 inches in each of my measurements. 

I've been on WW before, right after Robby was born, and had good luck then. I just didn't stick with it-money for meetings ran out.  The local groups were offering a free membership, and if you pre-pay a month in advance, you save a lot on the weekly prices.

I really do like the WW program. They NEVER use the word "don't", as in "don't eat this" and "don't go to BK". They teach you from the beginning how to eat sensibly and still enjoy your food.  The points are easy to count since our membership includes an online personal site that you simply enter what  you eat, and how much, and it tells you how many points you've eaten and how many you've got left.

I'll post again in a couple of weeks. My surgery is January 8, so I still have time to lose the 20 pounds that the surgeon suggested. 

Who knows, I just may make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment