Sunday 18 November 2012

A Season of Change

ok, so the Tim Horton's job didn't work out. It seems that the manager hired too many people for the amount of work that's available. So I'm out of work. From what the shift manager told me, there will soon be others following. I'm disappointed, but not bitter. Life goes on....

The Weight Watchers program is going well. John assured me that we'd work things out so that Katie and I could stay with the program. We started in early October, and I've lost 7 pounds. I'm not sure I'll make the 20 that my surgeon wanted, but I'm seeing him this coming Friday for pre-surgery exam.

In the meantime, I'm staying busy with my sewing. I'm currently have reworked my 1860s dress into a 1890s dress by reducing the hoop, a slight hem, and adding a bustle from the fabric I removed from the skirt. John has asked for a new steampunk jacket. He wants to portray a retired Union artillery sergeant, so I'm working on that. Katie also wants a new, fancier dress. When Fabricland has their big members sale this weekend, we'll get her fabric and she'll start sewing that (with advice from me.)

The biggest news is that I've decided to start teaching sewing lessons. I have a lot of friends and acquaintances in my various groups who want garb but don't know how to sew. I check around and decided to help them learn. I know, why don't I just sew and charge them. I'm not interested in doing that. I have enough for just our family to do, and when a hobby becomes a job, it looses the fun.  I also believe that Confucius had the right idea - "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But teach a man to fish, and he'll eat for his lifetime."

I know when I finish an outfit, I feel a sense of accomplishment and pride. I'd like to help pass that on. And sewing is becoming a lost art, so I can also teach another generation.

Last night, we walked in the St. Thomas Santa Claus Parade. We invited the Steampunk group back to our house for warm drinks and a warm place to sit. I got to know one of our members, and her daughter. They are very interested in making their own outfits, so I now have my first commission as a teacher.

If you're reading this and live in the London/St. Thomas area, I'm willing, ready and able.  For more information, you can contact me by facebook message or by email at bethgolds@hotmail.com.   We'll get together and start passing some knowledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment